EcoBank Ad

2 soldiers arrested over brutality of Makoko residents, Army sets up probe panel

The 81 Division, Nigerian Army, on Wednesday said it had set up a Board of Inquiry (BOI) to try two soldiers arrested over alleged brutality of residents of Makoko community in Lagos.

The General Officer Commanding, 81 Division, Maj.-Gen. Isidore Edet told a news conference in Lagos that the army would go after other soldiers who participated in the attack.

“The board is expected to investigate and find out the remote cause of the fracas.

READ ALSO:  We will enforce no movement order on Fayose - Police

“The board is also expected to find out, among other things, whether the soldiers were on official duty in the area where the incident occurred before turning in its report to the army authority.

”The Board will sit for three weeks,“ said the GOC who spoke through the Division’s Assistant Director of Information, Col. Kingsley Samuel.

Edet said the alleged incident was highly regrettable and promised that the army would thoroughly investigate the matter.

READ ALSO:  Troops avert attacks on oil pipelines, kill Niger Delta militants

“81 Division frowns at this unfortunate incident and wishes to assure the general public that this unlawful act will not go unpunished if the soldiers are found culpable.

“In demonstration of the existing inter-agency cooperation between the Division and other security agencies, Lagos State Police Command has handed over the two soldiers allegedly involved in this unlawful act for investigation.

“Both soldiers are in 81 Division custody. One of them who sustained injury is receiving treatment,” he said.

READ ALSO:  How we impersonate police, army to seize motorcycles and resell -Suspects

Edet said the division remained committed to its task as part of the constitutional mandate of the Nigerian Army and urged members of the public to be law abiding.

Some soldiers allegedly stormed Makoko community at about 8pm on Sunday, beating up anyone they came across.

Some of the soldiers, who were later arrested by some policemen, were handed over to the army authorities on Tuesday for further investigation.

To Top